Juayúa (pron. wa-yu-a) is half way along Ruta de Flores and a great base to see the surrounding area.
Los Chorros is one of the must see highlights of Juayúa. 7 beautiful waterfalls cascade out of the green hill sides into a pool of clear water. The water is freezing but rewarding after the walk down from town. The area is beautiful with little litter (a big problem in El Salvador) and amazing views across the hills and valley.
You can take a tour to Los Churros but we opted to go ourselves. For those walking, follow RN12W (Calle Mercedes Caceres) and veer right into Calle Hacia Los Chorros as you get to a slight intersection. Follow Calle Hacia Los Chorros until you reach the entrance to the waterfall reserve (30 mins). The entrance has a wire gate saying private property however is accessible for foot traffic.
Juayúa has a famous monthly food market, town square, church and small markets. Otherwise we didn’t find much to keep us in Juayúa for too long. None the less Juayúa is a pleasantly relaxing place to spend a night or two.
Accommodation: Hotel Anahuac (US$25 per night, private room or US$9 per person for a dorm bed). This place had good vibes, decent internet and close to everything. There is a small but decent kitchen and a huge avocado tree. Water is sold by the hotel and is comparable to supermarket prices.
Getting there from Ahuachapan:
• For Ruta de Flores or Santa Ana; catch a chicken bus from 12A Calle Oriente (this is 2 blocks up Avenida 2 De Abril. Most people will be able to direct you.
• Take bus number R249 for Ruta de Flores (US$0.70, 1 hour).
• The bus drops you on 4 Calle Oriente beside the Scotia ATM
Getting away to Santa Ana:
• Catch the number 249 (US$0.70, 1 hour) from Juayúa at 4 Calle Oriente beside the Scotia ATM
• At Ahuachapan swap buses. You should see the buses lined up at corner of 10A Calle Oriente and 8W Highway and listen out for someone yelling Santa Ana.
• There are also collectivos in the area but we did not take this option
• The bus to Santa Ana arrives at Calle Aldea San Antonio
• Santa Ana is a hectic place so it is best to look up directions to your accommodation prior to this.
Supermarket: Selectos Market Juayua – RN 12W, Juayúa, El Salvador
ATM: Scotia Bank – 4 Calle Oriente.